Friday, September 21, 2007

Well, we've been here a week and i think i only have about five minutes of time left on this computer (the L key keeps sticking, too) so hopefully MJ is doing a better job of the details, but it's been quite a time of it here. So far, I love Oxford. We had lunch at the Eagle and Child where Tolkien and Lewis used to go, and sat in the very same room. thrill. It's a city that seeps with antiquity - the roads are cobbled, the buildings of yellowed stones, often smothered in climbing ivy. It was cold and grey, weather that seemed fitting for a place of books. We went into Blackwell's, apparently one of the largest bookstores in the world, where I bought My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier so that I can get in the mood before we go to Penzance on Monday - she places all her stories in Cornwall.
Oh, how can I forget. We saw The Merchant of Venice at the Old Globe. We got yard tickets bc the girl said they give the best view, which was true. The gem of the production was John McEnery as Shylock but the whole thing was fun. The Globe is on the South Bank, which is loaded with neat old waterfront builings converted into restaurants and such. One of my favorite things so far is walking along the Thames at night, with St Paul's and Big Ben lit up and light dancing on the water.
Canterbury was another day this past week- the Cathedral was cool but I actually more enjoyed St Augustine's Abby, which the saint founded. It's now just stone ruins, having been dismanted by Henry VIII, but we had these little audio tour phones which brought to life what a place it must have been. The monks were turned out with five pounds each by the king, and ony 200 of 2000 volumes survived.
It's been great to be able to hang out with Liz and Michael too. We had dinner on Wednesday with them and Franz at their flat. This time Michael played Tijuana Brass on the stereo the whole time and kept asking us, "Do you hear the pathos?"
Tomorrow we go to Bath and Monday we take off to tour the rest of England, starting with Cornwall. It will be nice to have a quieter break - the city's been great but tiring to be constantly on the go. Glad we're mixing it up a bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"This much I know dear boy, that I cannot any longer, nay I dare not, let her have command over my purse, or I shall be ruined, and the estate will suffer." p170. My Cousin Rachel, is a great mystery-romance a lot like her earlier book Rebecca. In Bath try, I think it called Sally Lunn’s buns, it is a type of teacake. I love those things. Also Royal Victoria Park is a beautiful park, then Alexandra Park is cool it crowns a hill and overlooks the city.

Anonymous said...

HERB ALPERT AND THE TIJUANA BRASS!!! Glad you are getting SOME culture over there. JOSH

Anonymous said...

My dear dear Anna. When you write your first book, this should be your opening "It's a city that seeps with antiquity - the roads are cobbled, the buildings of yellowed stones, often smothered in climbing ivy. It was cold and grey, weather that seemed fitting for a place of books."

Pure brilliance. Oh how I adore and miss the poo out of you!

swak,
+ duszka