Monday, November 26, 2007

For two people as tired and zoned out as Mary Jane and I are getting as we reach the end of three months' travels, it becomes increasingly challenging to get excited about new places and sights. We keep thinking about hot showers, kitchens that we can use as we please, days when we can get up and turn on the tv and do nothing.
Only a place like Rome, then, has the power to shake us from our weariness into wonder. I don't have the words right now to describe it well, so I'll just say one thing that has struck me before I speak more factually.
It's a place with the same mix of architectural beauty and modern sludge that other famous cities in Europe have, but there's more behind it than in other places. More behind the merely perceived beauty and ugliness - something which reveals itself only when sought. I haven't figured it all out yet, and to escape from the risk of rambling on without making much sense, I'll stop here, but I think what I mean has something to do with "let those who have eyes to see see, and those who have ears to hear hear..."
And on a more practical note: We were very lucky to have a tour by private car on our first day in the city, provided by some kind friends. We got an eight-hour, intense whirl through all the major sights - Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Borghese Villa, Pantheon, Colosseum, and St. Peter's. At some point I pulled out my pocket notebook and started jotting down bits of info from our guide, Alfredo, who never stopped talking. He was fun; he kept complaining about how crazy the scooters are here: "You just have to not have normal brain to ride scooter in this city..." and taking us down Via del Corso, the fashion strip: "My wife is strictly forbidden to bring my credit card here..." It was great to be seated and taken around all day, and made us happy to be on our own the next day to explore what we'd seen. We tried to get to the Colosseum three times last week before we made it during the open hours; it's getting harder to do things before nightfall now that the days are short. We've also haunted the Spanish steps and the three-story McDonalds next to it several times.
Another great thing has been meeting up with people here after not knowing anyone in Italy. It's been our longest stretch of not hanging out with any friends or relatives; now that we're here, I seem to be related to everyone somehow. Have met a number of the Angelicum and Santa Croce people; we find after a few minutes that we have some mutual acquaintance and then go down a list: " Well, if you know so-and-so, then you must also know so-and-so-and-so..." We watched an old movie during a rainy afternoon at one of the girls' apartments yesterday - I had forgotten what that's like.
Highlight: we went to the papal audience on Wednesday and got a blessing for all our family and friends at home, so everyone should be feeling particularly holy for at least a few days.
Tonight is a big mass at the Lateran Basilica in honor of the consistory of cardinals, with a reception at the Irish College afterwards (we met some entertaining Irish seminarians yesterday), so that should be fun. Tomorrow we're going to the Vatican musuems and are sitting in on some classes at the Angelicum.
Two more days in Rome, then to Prague.

12 comments:

Maria said...

I must confess, I'm feeling just a little bit happy that you're getting homesick. It evens it out somewhat. But be sure to give the land of our heritage all you've got, whatever that may be.

Sven said...

Take it easy, you two! Remember, less can be more. Multum,non multa!Love, Mom

Sven said...

"I own Rome. Not you, not the pope." I had to say this even though it isn't all relevent. Colonel Keppler had eyes to see what you have seen in Rome. I hope that made some sense. Love and more love, Cordelia

Francesca Gabriela said...

oops! i didnt mean to sign in under Sven.

Maria said...

No, Fran that does not make sense.

Maria said...

No, Fran, that does not make sense.

Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think it was Robert Montgomery said, (I hope I spelled that right) "Home, the spot of earth supremely blest, A dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest." – Mike

Francesca Gabriela said...

Am I sig
ned in?

Anonymous said...

Damn

Anonymous said...

Well I have a few things to say. First I finally figured out how to sign in on this bloody thing. I've been having a devil of a time trying to comment under my own name. Second I have duly noted that everyone else im my family seems to be able to use my awesome Scandanavian name like a peach. Mama life is so hard, "this world we live in" inside joke everyone else who's reading this,if you guys know what movies thats from I take my hat of to you. I was sitting in my cold little station wagon today which finilly works, hooray, in the Santa Paula high school parking lot waiting for swim to start thinking of you. This is you this time isn't Mama? Well I was thinking of both of us. I was gazing up at a gnarly street light thinking of our times in the Tigger cafe. I hope you went there with Mary Jane and drank to my health. I know your tired but your still damn lucky. Rome is Rome and Santa Paula is.. well something else.
We went to Babi's yesterday minus Maria, we all had a real nice time. Babi was glad you were able to see Prauge in the winter. Well I have to go and finish writing the first ten pages of my screnplay. I need you to co-write it with me. And edit. By the the way if you see any cup coasters that look nice get em. Now I really have to go before I get emotional. Goodbye Mama I love you.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to proofread again before it was to late.